Journey Into Healing, September 12, 2010
I remember Deepak addressing our small group of teachers from the hundreds of participants at Journey Into Healing, located in Carlsbad, California. Earlier that day, he had given group lectures about states of consciousness, and the benefits of meditations. But, as teachers we were honored to be whisked away after dinner for a small informal discussion with Deepak Chopra, or sometimes with David Simon the Co-Founder of Chopra Center University.
It was always a surprise and we never knew what the subject matter would be. On this beautiful evening in warm Southern California, Deepak joined our small group and spoke about Well Being, and the different kinds of Well Being there are. Today, I will elaborate on the notes that I penciled in while attending session.
- Root cause of any disease is in the brain. Go back to epi-genetics, ask what condition were my parents in at the time of my conception, emotionally, physically? Recognize and imagine your parents conception.
- Western model of health is the absence of a definable disease. Ayurvedic model of disease, is the absence of vibrant health.
- Ojas, is an ancient word that means vital energy, sweet nectar. Ama is a Sanskrit word that means toxic residue and it could be emotional, physical, environmental, social, perhaps in your personal relationships.
- Nuking food is not being present or healthy, it robs the nutrients from your foods. Fresh is best. We are taught to live in a state of present moment awareness; or to eat what’s in season, and healthiest for our body’s, breathing in full deep breaths. We are taught to remember that the past is history and the future is a mystery, and can be transmuted through conscious awareness, in all areas of our life, including food choices.
- A Set point is the way we see the world and is determined by the age of three. Research shows that meditation can reset the frontal cortex of your brain. The frontal cortex of the brain is responsible for processing information. During meditation you will learn to experience present moment mindfulness as a lifestyle. Following your breath, watching it and then making observations without judging things as right or wrong will become natural. Non-judgment is a state of being more conscious.
- Contemplative meditation is listing ideas, such as journaling before we meditate, writing a list of intentions and desires, or recapitulation of the previous nights dream, or days events. Recapitulation is very powerful tool; a form of contemplative meditation using loving kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity as the foundation before meditation. Scientifically speaking, the brain actually becomes larger; the frontal cortex becomes more active and you will experience more conscious moments in awakening.
- Transcendence in life happens easily and effortlessly with a new awareness, and the set point of our choice making changes.
- The practice of self inquiry, and a questioning of oneself is on going through the use of cognitive therapy. We mind map, and learn how to observe the difference between limiting beliefs, and idealistic beliefs. There are six questions we make before coming to any conclusion. 1. Am I sure this is true? 2. Am I sure I don’t deserve it? 3. Am I 100 percent sure it is true? 4. What does holding onto to this belief do to me. 5. Does this belief keep me from moving forward? 6. What would I be without this belief?
- We must always remember that beliefs are just ideas we believe to be true.
- You can change your way of thinking, your set point, by asking questions.
- A happiness formula goes like this: 10 percent of our happiness is based on the conditions of our living, or environment. Some of the poorest countries in the world are the happiest, because the people are immune to the outside world, and use their spirit as a gauge. Think of the children conceived in worn torn countries or families, which could be the root cause of their violent behavior. Alternate examples of this would be those who satisfy their emotional voids by shopping, eating, or through materialism. More often than not, a persons environment, emotionally, and physically dictates whether they are satisfied, and their happiness is influenced by these factors.
- Choices make up about 40 percent of our happiness because they give our life fulfillment and choices become meaningful. The fastest way to happiness is to bring happiness to someone else.
- Voluntary choices increase our happiness because we use more thought, so think through all your choices, and ask how your choices effect those you love. When we are aligned with our intentions and desires to attain a new life style; personal pleasure and advancement, and use conscious choice making the percentage of our happiness dominates our state of being.
- Happiness formula: 1. Give attention. 2. Show affection. 3. Be authentic. This formula, will in turn create a state of happiness for you easily and effortlessly. Happiness becomes a way of life without having to measure all possibilities, when you align your personal truths to the above values.
- Let go of grievances. Otherwise it’s like drinking poison thinking it will kill your enemy.
- One cure for unhappiness is enlightenment. Enjoy life.
- Total well-being is making sure all five areas of life are fulfilling. 1. Work in an area where your supervisor points out your good points and wants you to succeed. 2. Social life must be stimulating and healthy. 3. Physical condition is important because you require good health, a body that is properly exercised, challenged, and stimulated. 4. Financial life has to be predictable and is working for you. Do not put yourself in debt. 5. Community is the final component for total well-being.
- Another trick is to hang around happy people, they increase our immunity. The more happy people you hang with the higher the groups total immunity becomes.
- Know that consciousness is a field and can change, as your knowledge and reality changes.
- Serotonin can be measured in urine and goes up when you regularly meditate, and even higher when you meditate in a group. Critical mass affects everyone. There is no such thing as a separate self, this is the talk of the ego. It is true that best friends have more influence on you than your spouses.
- To be a healthier person, it is important to engage in four to six hours of social interaction a day, this includes texting, emailing, talking on the phone, engaged with physical activity in a group, hanging with healthy and happy friends.
- Physical happiness means that your foods are fresh, and try to include the six tastes in every meal. These six flavors according to Ayurveda are: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter, and astringent.
- Best cure for fatigue is exercise. Exercise improves sleep, mood, immune system, diabetes.
- Yoga and Pranayama (breathing exercises) make you more centered, improves mind, body and coordination.
- Walking 15-20 minutes per day is healthy for your whole body, just remember to take full deep breaths.
- Financial well-being is not the same as having a log of money. Do not spend money on things, spend money on experiences, and only spend what you earn and live within your means. Living within your means is living in a state of well-being. You can always aspire to earn more and live better, but remember, debt is toxic. Living within your means will bring a sense of value to your life.